Pages

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

"They Loved Your GPA, Then They Saw Your Tweets"

    This article talked about how much of an impact social media has on our everyday life. Once you post something, it's out there for everyone to see. This article spoke about how many colleges now look at the social media accounts of their applicants to see into their personal lives. Interviews with deans of admissions from various colleges reveals that roughly 31% of applicants were background checked using social media. And some social media posts have single handedly cause the applicant to ultimately be rejected from the school.

What Surprised Me

    I was really surprised when I heard colleges check social media, and even more surprised when I learned that social media alone could result in an applicant getting rejected from the school. I shocked when I read that 31% of admissions offices did check social media, a number rising fast. Admissions offices are sometimes asked by students to look at posts of theirs, but it doesn't effect their chances as much as the social media checks do.

What Confuses Me

    I was concerned when I read that it's possible for colleges to find someone else's account instead of the applicants actual account. Many people have the same names, so if someone who kept their social media in check applied for a college, but the admissions office checked someone who had the same name instead of the applicant, that could greatly hurt their chances.

Overview

    After reading this article, I thought about how my own social media reflects who I am. I never post things I wouldn't be comfortable with other people seeing. After reading this article I will make sure that my social media remains a positive reflection of who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment